Saturday, August 23, 2014

Twins


Twins. A word that indicates the sharing of at least a single outstanding characteristic. People pray for twin children to be born safely. Co-workers show up in matching outfits without planning. Students trick their teachers in matching outfits and trade seats. Yet the thing I could never imagine is twin heartaches.

Just weeks apart two sweet friends are picking up the pieces shattered by the six letter word - cancer. They are bound by something no one should ever have to face once, let alone twice. I see them taking on this battle as only women can do, with resolve and faith. Maybe in the quiet stillness of their home they may admit their fear but to the world, they are conquerors. No one can fathom the anxiety that lurks behind their eyes.

Cancer is the enemy that we just cannot figure out. It does not choose a victim by demographics, by social status, or by divine provision. It just is. There are no words one can use to describe the giant survivors confront. We talk all the time about finding cures for cancer. We walk miles through the night for this very solution. But sometimes what we need cannot come from the medicine but a healing within our hearts.

I sat with my friend and listened to her wonder about a faith walk I take for granted every, single day. In my heart I ache so deeply because I cannot guarantee her a pain-free existence. She is seeking answers I do not have. I have no idea what I would do if I were placed in her shoes and asked to walk this journey. Still the stirring in my soul tells me it isn't the healing of her body that matters as much as the spirit. Little by little it is being repaired, one prayer at a time. God glorifies those who turn their fears and panic over to him each and every single moment.

If you know a person walking a long road alone, don't just say you'll pray for them.  Ask to carry that burden for a minute, a mile, or a moment. We were not created alone on this earth. You may never know the pain caused by this cruel world that another person suffers. However we do know the joy another can bring in the midst of heartache. We are gifted with something that someone else needs. It is our job to seek out that need and not wait for the person to ask. Waiting for the right time may never come and your blessing will be lost.

We thank you Father for the glory that comes through those tender moments of heartache. May we always find You in the middle of our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment